Old Salem, TX

By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: August 26, 2004


Font size: A / A reset

Old Salem is a small rural community located near the junction of Interstate 30 and Farm Road 1840 about five miles southwest of New Boston and twenty-six miles west of Texarkana in west central Bowie County. The area (also called Salem) was probably settled by farmers during the second half of the 1800s. The oldest marked grave in Old Salem Cemetery, located next to Old Salem Baptist Church, dates to 1880. In the 1930s the community had a school and scattered farms and dwellings. During the later part of the twentieth century the region still had homes, farms, and dairy cattle operations. Old Salem had a population of fifty in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Old Salem, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/old-salem-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

August 26, 2004

Loading