Omega, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Omega was a rural community eight miles northeast of Longview on U.S. Highway 259 in northeastern Gregg County. It was probably established sometime around 1900. By the mid-1930s it had a number of houses and a school, which it shared with nearby Bethlehem in Upshur County. At various times several stores operated in the area. The Port Bolivar Iron Ore Railway had a train station and siding at a gin in Omega. After World War II the school was closed, and by the mid-1960s Omega was no longer shown on highway maps.

Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Omega, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/omega-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Omega
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Gregg County
Associated Names

Johnsonville