Orrs, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Orrs (Orrville) is a rural community in northwestern Marion County, eleven miles northwest of Jefferson and one mile west of Lassater on the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway. Charles E. Orr, who operated a general store at the site, opened a post office in his store in 1881, and the community and post office were named Orrville. The population of the community was estimated at thirty in 1884. The post office was closed in 1897, and sometime thereafter the town became known as Orrs. In the 1930s a school and several houses were at the site, and in 1961 Orrs had several scattered dwellings. In 1983 Orrs was still identified on state highway maps as a railroad station.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Orrs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/orrs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Orrs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378809
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

Orrville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.84263560°
  • Longitude: -94.52464420°