Oscar, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Oscar, which was also known as Jones Gin, is on Little Elm Creek and Farm Road 3117 six miles east of Temple in eastern Bell County. It was founded by Czechs in the late nineteenth century and had a post office from 1892 to 1904. In 1896 Oscar reported a population of 115, a cotton gin, a hotel, a general store, a blacksmith, and a barber. The community declined thereafter and had forty residents, two businesses, and a school by 1946. In 1990 Oscar reported a population of forty and no businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.

Temple Daily Telegram, April 17,1936.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Oscar, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/oscar-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Oscar
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380314
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Jones' Gin

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.05073620°
  • Longitude: -97.26222200°
Population Counts
People Year
58 2009