Otis Chalk, TX


By: Noel Wiggins

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Otis Chalk is on Farm Road 821 in the southeastern corner of Howard County. It became an oil boomtown during the 1920s, when it was named for the rancher on whose land oil was found in April 1926. The adjacent oilfield also bears the rancher's name. According to some sources the post office was established on February 3, 1939, when the town was still known as Chalkton; the name of the post office and the town was changed to Otis Chalk on June 1, 1939. In 1947 Otis Chalk had a population of fifty, a business, and a post office. In 1990 its population was reported as seventy-nine. The population remained the same in 2000.

Historic Howard County (Big Spring, Texas: Howard County Survey Committee, n.d.).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Noel Wiggins, “Otis Chalk, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/otis-chalk-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Otis Chalk
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034925
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Howard County
Associated Names

Chalkton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.12790340°
  • Longitude: -101.25734080°
Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status: ⭐
This place has been adopted and will not be available until July 24, 2026
Adopted by:
Albert Chalk McGehee Jr
Dedication Message:
In honor of the Chalk Family