Ottowa, TX


By: John Leffler

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Ottowa was on Bedias Creek in southeastern Madison County. In 1898 a post office was established there; according to one account, the first postmaster was a black named Viser. The post office was closed in 1905, and Ottawa was not shown on the 1936 county highway map.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

John Leffler, “Ottowa, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ottowa-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Ottawa
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Madison County
Associated Names

Ottowa

Island

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.91102270°
  • Longitude: -95.71272440°