Overby, located near the head of Live Oak Creek on Farm Road 743 in southern Karnes County, was first settled by Charles Overby, who bought a large tract of land and rented it to a number of cotton farmers. In 1908 he built a store, and a post office operated until 1910, when records were sent to Kenedy. A school was also built. As late as 1947 maps indicated a school and scattered rural dwellings. In 1990 only the place name remained.