Owens, TX (Crosby County)


By: Edloe A. Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Owens is on Farm Road 40 twenty-eight miles east of Lubbock in Crosby County. It was named for Tom B. Owens, who built a four-room brick school on the site in 1924. In 1925 F. E. Watkins built a store, which remained in operation for twenty years. Also in 1925 C. F. Dean built the first gin in the community. It was one of the largest cotton gins in Crosby County and burned during a 1948 sandstorm but was later rebuilt. Owens reported a population of seventy-five in 1980 and 1990. At that time the community's school-aged children attended school at Ralls. By 2000 the population was forty.

Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978). Nellie Witt Spikes and Temple Ann Ellis, Through the Years: A History of Crosby County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1952).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Edloe A. Jenkins, “Owens, TX (Crosby County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/owens-tx-crosby-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Owens
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380316
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Crosby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.55841990°
  • Longitude: -101.35293070°
Population Counts
People Year
4 2009