Ozro, TX


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Ozro is a mile west of Farm Road 157 and twelve miles west of Waxahachie in Ellis County. It was named either for Ozro High, a son of an early leader, or Ozro Cheatham, the son of T. O. Cheatham. The Ozro community received a post office in 1898, with James O. Hightower as the postmaster. It operated until 1906, when mail was routed through Venus in Johnson County. Ozro had a school from 1915 to 1944, when it was consolidated with the Maypearl school district. The 1980 county highway map showed Ozro with a cemetery nearby.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Ozro, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ozro-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Place
Ozro
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1343394
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Associated Names

Kus

May

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.33736620°
  • Longitude: -97.05417120°