Paddock Viaduct

By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995

Updated: April 24, 2019


The Paddock Viaduct, a Fort Worth bridge across the Trinity River, was built in 1914 and named in honor of Buckley Burton (B. B.) Paddock. Previously, travel over the river had been via low-water crossings and ferries, and later by a two-lane suspension bridge that was built in the 1890s. The Paddock Viaduct connects the downtown area with northern sections of the city. It was designed by the St. Louis firm of Benneke and Fay and was the first reinforced concrete arch in the nation to use self-supporting reinforcing steel. The bridge was later designated a Texas historic civil engineering landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineers. It also received a Texas Historical Commission marker in 1980.

Ruby Schmidt, ed., Fort Worth and Tarrant County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1984).

Places:

  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Fort Worth
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Paddock Viaduct,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/paddock-viaduct.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995
April 24, 2019

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading