Palmetto, TX (Newton County)


By: Madeleine Martin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Palmetto, seven miles from Newton in northwestern Newton County, was established in 1916 as a logging camp of the Palmetto Lumber Company. The employees numbered seventy-five, and the population of the camp was 250. When the timber supply was depleted in 1926, operations were discontinued. The installations were removed and the site abandoned.

Josephine Cochrum Peavy, A History of Newton County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942). Patricia Ward Wallace, Gleanings of Toledo Bend (Newton, Texas: Newton County Historical Commission, 1983).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Madeleine Martin, “Palmetto, TX (Newton County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/palmetto-tx-newton-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Palmetto
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Newton County