The Pampa Army Air Field, a military installation of World War II, was established in the summer of 1942 on a site about eleven miles east of Pampa in Gray County. Construction of the base began in June of that year under the supervision of the Tulsa, Oklahoma, office of the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Col. Norman B. Olson directed the initial stages of operation, and offices were housed temporarily in the Rose Motor Company and Culberson-Smalling buildings in downtown Pampa. Col. Daniel S. Campbell assumed command of the base in September 1942, and within two months the first planes and aviation cadets had arrived. Pampa Army Air Field, known as the "Eagles' Nest of the High Plains," offered advanced twin-engine training in AT-10s. Also stationed at the field were AT-9s, B-25s, and AT-17s. Sixteen B-25s from the field took part in the bombing of Tokyo; of them fifteen were lost, and one accidentally landed in Russia, where it remains. During its three years of operation the base graduated 6,292 cadets, trained 3,500 aircraft mechanics, and had one of the best safety records in the United States Training Command throughout the war. After its closing on September 30, 1945, the base was abandoned. In 1972 a reunion association was formed; its annual meetings continued in the 1980s. In addition, in the 1970s a Pampa Army Air Field Memorial Museum was incorporated. In 1982 a Texas Historical Commission historical marker was placed near the site, at the intersection of State Highway 152 and Farm Road 3302.