The Paris and Mount Pleasant Railroad Company was chartered on January 29, 1909, by citizens of Paris, Texas, to build about fifty miles southeast from Paris to Mount Pleasant, Titus County, where it would connect with the St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas. The initial capital was $71,400, and the business office was in Paris. Residents in the area donated $160,000 in land and cash and purchased stock in the company. Members of the first board of directors included R. F. Scott, J. J. Culbertson, H. P. Mayer, S. W. Williams, T. J. Record, and A. N. Rogers, all of Paris, and H. A. Wilson and E. S. Lilienstern of Mount Pleasant. The railroad was later acquired by Percy Jones of Abilene. The Paris and Mount Pleasant was constructed in two sections, with the line from Paris to Bogata, about twenty-four miles, started in December 1909 and opened in October 1910. Construction of the twenty-seven miles from Bogata to Mount Pleasant began in May 1912, and this stretch opened in June 1913. In 1916 the company owned three locomotives, twenty-eight freight cars, and four passenger cars, and received $33,833 in passenger revenue, $130,154 in freight revenue, and $2,287 in other revenue. The road was in receivership from February 26, 1920, to January 1, 1931. In 1922 it was classified as a Class II railroad by the Railroad Commission of Texas. Total earnings for that year were $109,078. The company was sold to the Texas Power and Light Company in 1952, and the Paris and Mount Pleasant was abandoned in 1956.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“Paris and Mount Pleasant Railroad,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed June 30, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
Most Recent Revision Date:
June 1, 1995