The Paris, Choctaw and Little Rock Railway Company was chartered on May 8, 1888. The railroad was planned to connect Paris in Lamar County with Hooks Ferry on the Red River, a distance of thirty miles, and then run through the Choctaw Nation in Indian Territory to Arkansas. The capital stock was $300,000, and the principal place of business was Paris. Members of the first board of directors were J. H. Johnson of Davenport, Iowa, and Samuel J. Wright, G. B. Maxey, John Martin, D. H. Scott, T. D. Craig, J. A. Martin, L. P. Harrison, and W. B. Wise, all of Paris. Ten miles of track was built out of Paris, and the railroad was subsequently abandoned.