The Paris, Marshall and Sabine Pass Railway Company was chartered on March 29, 1882, as the Marshall and Northwestern Railway Company. By charter amendments this company changed names several times, to Marshall, Jefferson and North Western Railway Company on January 8, 1883, to Marshall and Northwestern Railway Company on June 28, 1883, to Marshall, Paris and Northwestern Railway Company on November 18, 1885, and finally to Paris, Marshall and Sabine Pass Railway Company on May 7, 1888. The company's projected route was from the Red River in Lamar County through Paris to Marshall and on to the eastern edge of Harrison County on the Louisiana state line, a distance of 175 miles. A second line of 225 miles was projected between Marshall and Sabine Pass. The capital stock was $1.4 million, and the principal office was in Paris. Members of the first board of directors were D. H. Scott, John Martin, L. P. Harrison, Frank Hugh, and B. J. Baldwin, Jr., all of Paris; and William W. Heartsill and E. J. Fry, both of Marshall. The Paris, Marshall and Sabine Pass owned fifteen miles of track between Marshall and Montvale Springs that had been built by the Marshall, Paris and Northwestern in 1885 and 1886. It also operated a 3½-mile spur between Montvale Springs and Harleton, owned by the Hope Lumber Company, and built 1½ miles beyond Harleton. In 1895 the Paris, Marshall and Sabine Pass reported passenger earnings of $1,700 and freight earnings of $14,000 and owned one locomotive and fourteen cars. The company entered receivership in 1891 and was sold in 1892. In 1897 it became the Texas Southern Railway Company.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“Paris, Marshall and Sabine Pass Railway,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed June 27, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
September 1, 1995