Parkdale, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Parkdale was on Runnells Creek eleven miles southeast of Belton in southeastern Bell County. A country store community called Volo was founded in the late 1860s and had a post office from 1870 to 1882. A new post office with the name of Parkdale was opened on the site in 1890; the community had 100 inhabitants, a general store, a gin, and a drugstore in 1892. The post office closed in 1895, and mail was directed to Holland thereafter. The Volo school had forty-seven pupils and one teacher in 1903, and the Volo cemetery still appeared on state highway maps in 1988.

George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Parkdale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/parkdale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Parkdale
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Bluff

Volo