Parker, TX (Collin County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Parker is on Farm Road 2514 near Maxwell Creek two miles northeast of Plano in south central Collin County. It developed around the gristmill and general store built by T. L. Johnson in the early 1880s. In the mid-1880s the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway surveyed the community and laid out town lots. Later the company decided to run its tracks through Wylie, two miles southeast of Parker. Although bypassed by the railroad Parker continued to serve as a retail point for area farmers. A post office operated there from 1888 to 1901, when the mail sent to Allen, two miles southwest. The population in Parker grew from an estimated twenty in 1960 to 1,098 in 1980, probably a result of the growth of nearby Plano. In 1990 Parker had a population of 1,235. The population grew to 1,379 in 2000.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Parker, TX (Collin County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/parker-tx-collin-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Parker
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2411374
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: Yes
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Associated Names

Parker Gin

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.05631330°
  • Longitude: -96.62665900°
Population Counts
People Year
1,213 1990
1,379 2000
3,811 2010
5,021 2019