Parker's Bluff, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Parker's Bluff was a riverport on the Anderson County side of the Trinity River ten miles southwest of Palestine, near the mouth of Town Creek. The community, probably named for Daniel Parker, who owned one of the original land grants on which the port was located, was founded in the 1840s when a road was ordered to be built from Palestine to the site. The port served nearby Magnolia as a shipping point for cotton. Fitzhugh Ward, another land grantee, was the main property holder in Parker's Bluff. The community had a post office from 1870 to 1872 and at its peak had a blacksmith shop, a store, and a dance hall. Parker's Bluff seems to have declined around 1900, after Magnolia was bypassed by the railroad, and was not listed on state highway maps of the 1930s.

Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936). Palestine Herald Press, Trinity River Historical Edition, November 18, 1968.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Parker's Bluff, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/parkers-bluff-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Parker's Bluff
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Associated Names

-ville