Parker's Mills, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Parker's Mills, also known as Parker, was near Big Elkhart Creek three miles northwest of Grapeland in northwestern Houston County. The community was established around 1850. A post office opened in 1859 and operated until 1872. In the mid-1930s the community comprised a church, a cemetery, a sawmill, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Parker's Mills, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/parkers-mills-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Parker's Mills
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

Parker

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.51795540°
  • Longitude: -95.51883980°