One of five crossings on the Rio Grande near the Spanish mission settlement of San Juan Bautista (at the site of present-day Guerrero, Coahuila), Paso de Diego Ramón derives its name from the commandant of San Juan Bautista Presidio. Capt. Diego Ramón, who served in that capacity for more than twenty years, used the crossing in 1707, when he entered the area of the present state of Texas to punish enemy Indians and persuade friendly natives to enter the missions. Location of the ford is described only as being "in a northeasterly direction" from the mission settlement. It has sometimes been confused with Paso de los Pacuaches (see SAN ANTONIO CROSSING), another of the five fords used by Spanish colonial expeditions on their journeys into Texas. More recent information, however, indicates that all five of the crossings named in historical accounts, were distinct from each other. All were within five miles of Guerrero, from northeast to southeast.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Diego Ramón, Diario de la jornada, Archivo General de la Nación, Provincias Internas 28, March 9-April 8, 1707, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
- Spanish Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Robert S. Weddle, “Paso de Diego Ramón,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/paso-de-diego-ramon.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.