The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Paso de Jacinto

Diana J. Kleiner General

The Paso de Jacinto, a crossing on the Rio Grande, was first discovered by a detail of soldiers on reconnaissance from San Juan Bautista in 1745. The crossing was possibly named for a descendant of Alonso De León named Jacinto De León, who discovered the place where a man on horseback might cross. This site was located near the later land grant made by José de Escandón to Tomás Sánchez de la Barrera y Gallardo, who brought four families to the site in 1755 and founded the Villa de Laredo, which gave rise to the town of Laredo. A ferry later operated at the site.

Carlos E. Castañeda, Our Catholic Heritage in Texas (7 vols., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1936–58; rpt., New York: Arno, 1976). Robert S. Weddle, San Juan Bautista: Gateway to Spanish Texas (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1968). J. B. Wilkinson, Laredo and the Rio Grande Frontier (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).

Time Periods:

  • Spanish Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Paso de Jacinto,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 26, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/paso-de-jacinto.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading