Pastura, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 17, 2013


Pastura was in northwestern Jones County on what was the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The small settlement evolved around 1880 and was named by local ranchers for the good pasturelands there. The village became a stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and by the early 1900s had a store and a population of twenty. A post office, granted on October 6, 1911, was active until it was moved to Hamlin on February 28, 1914. Early residents included store owner Austin C. Rose and postmaster Martin J. Olson. Pastura still existed in the 1940s but was gone from county maps by the mid-1950s. No indication of the former settlement is given on 1980 county maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Pastura, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pastura-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 17, 2013

Place
Pastura
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378838
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jones County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.96038380°
  • Longitude: -100.01954370°