Patonia, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Patonia is on Farm Road 3152 ninety miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. The earliest permanent settlers moved into the area during the 1840s and established a cluster of small rural communities known collectively as the Louisiana Settlement. Patonia was named for Brantley M. Pate, who secured a post office for one of the little communities in 1912. In addition to his duties as postmaster, Pate also operated a turpentine distillery in the area, one of many such lumber-related industries present in Polk County during the era. Although the post office was closed by 1941, a few scattered residences remained as of 1984.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Patonia, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/patonia-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Patonia
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034873
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Louisiana Settlement

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.85407860°
  • Longitude: -95.02549070°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009