Pattonfield, a farming community five miles southeast of Gilmer and a mile east of U.S. Highway 271 in south central Upshur County, was probably established sometime around the Civil War and was named for an early settler called Patton. A school was in operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of fifty. In the mid-1930s the community had the school, a church, and a number of houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with the East Mountain district, and by the mid-1960s only the church and a few scattered houses remained at Pattonfield. In 1990 it was a dispersed rural community. By 2000 the population was listed as twenty.