Paul's Store, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Paul's Store, also known as Terrapin Neck, was seventeen miles east of Center in eastern Shelby County. Settled after the Civil War, the community had a post office from 1886 to 1906. It was named for William A. Paul, its first postmaster and the owner of the community gin, store, and sawmill. In 1946 Paul's Store had a reported population of fifty and a gin, a store, and a school. By the 1960s these institutions had closed, but the population was still estimated as fifty. By 1988 the site had been incorporated into Huxley.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Paul's Store, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pauls-store-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Paul's Store
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

Pauls Store

Terrapin Neck

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.82461490°
  • Longitude: -93.91796690°