The Payaya (Paia, Paialla, Payai, Payagua, Payata, Piyai, and other variants) Indians, a Coahuiltecan-speaking group first reported about 1690, originally ranged an area that extended from that of San Antonio southwestward to the Frio River and beyond. However, it is with the San Antonio area that the Payayas were most consistently associated. A local stream was referred to as El Arroyo de los Payayas, and a pass through the hills northwest of San Antonio was known as Puerto de los Payayas. Yanaguana, the Payaya name for the San Antonio River, has been preserved and was perpetuated by the Yanaguana Society of San Antonio. Shortly before 1709 a group of Payaya Indians joined other Coahuiltecans and moved to the vicinity of present Milam County in east central Texas, where they settled among Tonkawans in a locality known as Ranchería Grande. The Payayas entered missions in both Coahuila and Texas. A few Payaya individuals were baptized at San Francisco Solano Mission of northeastern Coahuila in 1706. The Payaya Indians were one of the groups for whom San Antonio de Valero Mission was established in the area of present San Antonio in 1718, and they are mentioned in records of this mission as late as 1776. Some Payayas were also at nearby Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña Mission.