Pelican, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Pelican was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, fifty miles northeast of Houston in northern Liberty County. The post office was established in 1896. Numerous tram railroads cut through the densely forested area near Pelican. By 1910 J. S. Johnson operated a sawmill there, and E. Powell ran a gin. The population was about thirty. In 1914, however, the post office was discontinued, and the community gradually faded from existence. Although discovery of the Pelican oilfield in 1954 brought a brief flurry of activity to the area, the community no longer appears on topographic or highway maps. Lumbering remains the primary economic concern of the region.

Barbara Smith, comp., "Cleveland's History," Cleveland Area Pioneer, June 1978.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Pelican, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pelican-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Pelican
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1383224
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Associated Names

Fox

Meriam

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.36687440°
  • Longitude: -95.03215450°