Pendleton, TX (Sabine County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Pendleton was ten miles northeast of Hemphill in northeastern Sabine County. The townsite was laid out in 1837 by Thomas S. McFarland at the request of James Gaines, who operated Gaines Ferry, originally called Paso del Chalan when it was established in 1795. Gaines named the community Pendleton, a family name of his. The town apparently flourished during the antebellum period; it became an important port of entry during the republic. During the postbellum period, changes in transportation caused the settlement to decline. By the 1890s Pendleton had an estimated population of fifty and one general store. When State Highway 21 was constructed through the county in 1937 a bridge was built across the Sabine, and the ferry was discontinued. By the 1940s the population of Pendleton had fallen to fifteen, and by the 1970s t community had ceased to exist.

Robert Cecil McDaniel, Sabine County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1987). Edna McDaniel White and Blanche Findley Toole, Sabine County Historical Sketches and Genealogical Records (Beaumont, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Pendleton, TX (Sabine County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pendleton-tx-sabine-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Pendleton
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Sabine County
Associated Names

Paso del Chalan

Red Mount

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.46483700°
  • Longitude: -93.75075400°