Perrin, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Perrin is on U.S. Highway 281 fifteen miles from Jacksboro in south central Jack County. It was established around 1870 and named in honor of L. W. Perrin, an early setter, whose son Louis provided the land on which the community was built. Perrin is surrounded by the open prairie of the Keechi Valley, treeless except for a few mesquites. It acquired a post office in 1931. The population has varied from a high of 600 in 1928 to a low of 220 in 1933 but generally has remained stable at 300 to 350. In 1990 Perrin had 300 residents and five businesses. The population remained unchanged in 2000.

Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Perrin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/perrin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Perrin
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1343870
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jack County
Associated Names

Dillingham Prairie

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.03400830°
  • Longitude: -98.06920870°
Population Counts
People Year
398 2010
446 2019