Petersburg, TX (Red River County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Petersburg is 4½ miles southeast of Clarksville in southern Red River County. The community was named for Stephen Peters, who established a plantation in the area during the antebellum period. From 1933 through 1964 the population of the village was reported as seventy-five. By 1966 Petersburg was no longer listed in the Texas Almanac. Petersburg is sometimes considered part of Peters Prairie on maps of the county.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Petersburg, TX (Red River County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/petersburg-tx-red-river-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995