Petersville, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Petersville was established in the vicinity of the old community of Hochheim Prairie in 1932, when Frank Peters built a store on State Highway 4 (presently State Highway 111) four miles west of Yoakum in the northern tip of DeWitt County. The National Dance Hall operated in this locality earlier; its structure has since 1945 belonged to St. Anne's Catholic Church, the long-time parish church for Hochheim Prairie. In 1948 Petersville had two groceries, a blacksmithy, and a garage. A number of business establishments were indicated on 1983 county maps. In 2000 the population was thirty-eight.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Petersville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/petersville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Petersville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380346
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.31274580°
  • Longitude: -97.21665440°
Population Counts
People Year
38 2009