Pierpont Place, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Pierpont Place was in southern DeWitt County where Fivemile Creek flows into Twelvemile Creek. In the 1840s Elizabeth and William Pierpont had a log house and stables at the site, where they provided changes of horses for the Indianola to San Antonio stage. The Pierponts also operated a post office, established in 1852, which also served the nearby Lateiner Settlement. The post office closed in 1870. No town developed, but the locale was still known as Pierpont Place in 1948.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Pierpont Place, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pierpont-place-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Pierpont Place
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.92970540°
  • Longitude: -97.27304640°