Pike, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Pike is on Farm Road 981 less than a mile from the Hunt county line and four miles northeast of Blue Ridge in far northeast Collin County. It was established in the early 1860s and quickly became a small but prosperous church and school community for area farmers. A post office was established in 1885. By 1900 the town had two churches, a Masonic lodge, six stores, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith shop. The population in 1900 was estimated at well over 100. In 1932 mail service to Pike was discontinued and routed through Leonard. The number of residents reached a high of 172 in 1933 and remained steady until 1945. In 1980 through 2000 Pike had a population reported at eighty.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Pike, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pike-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Pike
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380355
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.32233430°
  • Longitude: -96.30303560°
Population Counts
People Year
47 2009