Pinckney, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Pinckney is on U.S. Highway 190 sixty-five miles northwest of Beaumont in eastern Polk County. The site of a small farming community settled before the Civil War, the locale was named Pinckney in honor of Pinckney Jackson Waldrep, Methodist minister and teacher who became the first postmaster in 1890. The Pinckney post office was discontinued in 1931. The community had a population estimated at sixty through the mid-1940s, when it disappeared from lists of Texas towns. Contemporary Polk County residents often refer to the rural communities of Pinckney, Morganville, and Midway simply as Midway.

A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Pinckney, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pinckney-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Pinckney
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Midway

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.72855200°
  • Longitude: -94.62814500°