Pine Grove, TX (Cherokee County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Pine Grove is off Farm roads 747 and 2138 twelve miles northwest of Rusk in western Cherokee County. It was first settled around the time of the Civil War and grew up around an early Pine Grove Church. A local school was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of eighty-eight. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a school, and a number of houses. Since World War II many residents have left the area, but in the early 1990s a church, a school, a store, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses still remained. In 2000 the population was thirty.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pine Grove, TX (Cherokee County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pine-grove-tx-cherokee-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Loading