Pine Grove, TX (Panola County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Pine Grove, a rural community twelve miles west of Carthage off Farm Road 1251 in western Panola County, was first settled after the Civil War. A school began operating in the 1890s, and in 1897 it had twenty-nine students. In the mid-1930s Pine Grove had a sawmill and a number of houses. After World War II the sawmill closed, and in the mid-1990s only a church and a few scattered dwellings still remained in the area. No population estimates were available.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pine Grove, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pine-grove-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Pine Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1344050
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.22321480°
  • Longitude: -94.51409150°