Pine Valley, TX (San Jacinto County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Pine Valley is on an unnamed road north of Farm Road 2693 sixty-five miles north of Houston in west central San Jacinto County. Early settlers in the heavily forested area included Tom Parker, Jim Winters, and "Brother" Lewin Adams. The settlement was the site of one of many Farmers' Alliance meetings in the county. The nearest post office, called Chinquapin, was two miles from the community center and operated from 1888 to 1890. William A. Walker served as postmaster, and mail was sent to Waverly after the post office was discontinued. A tram railroad line extending into the Pine Valley area from Walker County allowed lumbermen to log the west central San Jacinto County region. Although the grade has been abandoned, a church remains, and several new buildings have appeared since 1960 in conjunction with the general growth of the county.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Pine Valley, TX (San Jacinto County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pine-valley-tx-san-jacinto-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Pine Valley
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382517
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Chinquapin

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.59297600°
  • Longitude: -95.32410730°