Piney Grove, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Piney Grove (Pine Grove), a rural community fifteen miles northeast of Gilmer off U.S. Highway 259 in northeastern Upshur County, was probably first settled sometime after the Civil War around a church. A school was in operation around the turn of the century, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of sixty-seven. In the mid-1930s Piney Grove had a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Ore City school, and by the mid-1960s only the church, a cemetery, and few scattered dwellings remained. In the early 1990s Piney Grove was a dispersed rural community. No population estimates were available.

Audie Ray, Lurline, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Piney Grove, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/piney-grove-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Loading