Piney Point Village, on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line at the western edge of Houston in southwestern Harris County, was a station on the Texas Western Railroad in 1885. It was part of a settlement of largely German farmers. State highway maps in 1936 located Piney Point near one of several sawmills in the area. One of several affluent communities known as the Villages, Piney Point incorporated in 1955 with an alderman type of municipal government and by 1966 had a public school and four churches. The city maintained restrictions against business of any kind. The population rose steadily from 1,790 in 1960 to 3,257 in 1990 and 3,380 in 2000 but fell to 3,125 in 2010.