Piney, TX (Titus County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Piney, in northern Titus County eight miles north of Mount Pleasant, was originally a black church and school community started after the Civil War. The first settlers in the area were the families of Henry Steward, Joe Cooper, Louis Gipson, Judge Nelson, and Pap Sharell. By 1932 the school had been consolidated with another district, and in 1984 Piney had a church, a cemetery, and scattered houses. No further information about the community was available.

Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Piney, TX (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/piney-tx-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Piney
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1375469
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Titus County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.27039410°
  • Longitude: -94.97465840°