Pisgah, TX (Navarro County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Pisgah, on Pisgah Ridge seven miles south of Corsicana in south central Navarro County, was first settled in the late 1840s. A Pisgah post office opened in 1891 but closed the following year, and a school began operating at the site before the turn of the century. At its height around 1900 Pisgah had a school, several stores, a combination cotton gin and gristmill, and a church. In the mid-1930s the community still had a church, a school, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Richland school, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses were left in the Pisgah area.

Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pisgah, TX (Navarro County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pisgah-tx-navarro-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading