Plain, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Plain was a rural community four miles east of Tadmor in the Davy Crockett National Forest in eastern Houston County; it was first settled before the late 1880s. A school was established around 1888, and a post office operated from 1902 to 1905. In the mid-1930s Plain had a church and a number of houses. After World War II most of the residents moved away, and by the early 1990s only the church and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area. No population estimates were available.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Plain, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/plain-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Loading