Pleasant Grove, TX (Bastrop County)


By: Paula Mitchell Marks

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995

Updated: January 7, 2021


Pleasant Grove, four miles northeast of Elgin in northern Bastrop County, had been established as a community by 1879, when the black Mount Moriah Baptist Church was founded by minister William Pendergrass and his nine-member congregation, which met in a brush arbor. Ten years later a church building was erected beside Westbrook Cemetery. In 1893 Pleasant Grove Presbyterians made up part of the Elgin Presbyterian Circuit. But the community never grew enough to establish a post office or, apparently, to have population figures kept. In 1933 Pleasant Grove had two small schools, one for Black children, one for White. In the mid-1980s only the church and cemetery marked the site.

William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933). Bill Moore, Bastrop County, 1691–1900 (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Paula Mitchell Marks, “Pleasant Grove, TX (Bastrop County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasant-grove-tx-bastrop-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995
January 7, 2021

Place
Pleasant Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034638
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bastrop County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.38298540°
  • Longitude: -97.31555000°