Pleasant Grove, TX (Hopkins County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995

Updated: January 7, 2021


Font size: A / A reset

Pleasant Grove, a rural community in western Hopkins County just off Interstate 30 three miles east of Cumby, was first settled in the 1870s. Among the earliest settlers in the area were the Palmer, Gaddy, Pogue, Middleton, Bailey, Lackey, Beck, and Collins families. A Baptist church was built in 1890, and by the turn of the century two schools were operating. In 1905 a White school had an enrollment of fifty-six, and a Black school had an enrollment of thirty-eight. In the mid-1930s Pleasant Grove had a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. By the mid-1960s only the cemetery and a few houses remained. No population estimates were available.

Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pleasant Grove, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasant-grove-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995
January 7, 2021

Loading