Pleasant Grove, TX (Navarro County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Pleasant Grove, on Oak Valley Road and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway two miles southwest of Corsicana in central Navarro County, grew up around a church founded in the 1880s. Among the first to preach at Pleasant Grove Church was James Edward Ferguson, father of later governor James Edward Ferguson. M. K. Little was an early pastor. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of the church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s the church and a cemetery were still maintained. In the early 1990s Pleasant Grove was a dispersed rural community.

Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pleasant Grove, TX (Navarro County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasant-grove-tx-navarro-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Pleasant Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1344194
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Navarro County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.06182030°
  • Longitude: -96.49804030°