Pleasant Grove, TX (Panola County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: October 1, 1995


Pleasant Grove, a rural community also known as Jaybird, six miles southwest of Carthage on State Highway 315 in southwestern Panola County, was first settled in the 1840s. A school, also known as Jaybird or Pleasant Grove, began operating before 1849. In 1912 the school was classified as a one-year high school but was closed in the 1920s, and the students were probably sent to Bethany. In the mid-1930s Pleasant Grove had a church and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the early 1990s a church and a few scattered houses still remained in the area.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pleasant Grove, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasant-grove-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 1, 1995

Place
Pleasant Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1365418
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Associated Names

Jaybird

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.11655180°
  • Longitude: -94.43158990°