Pleasant Hill, TX (Houston County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Pleasant Hill, also known as Antrim, was a rural community ten miles northwest of Grapeland in northwestern Houston County near the Anderson county line. The community grew up around a school organized around 1864. The school, known as Antrim School, was among the earliest in the county. After the Civil War the school building was moved to a new community known as Pleasant Hill. The settlement had two stores, a blacksmith shop, and a saloon. After the construction of the International-Great Northern Railroad most of the town's residents moved to the nearby rail stop at Grapeland, and by 1900 Pleasant Hill was a ghost town. No population estimates were available.

Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pleasant Hill, TX (Houston County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasant-hill-tx-houston-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Pleasant Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1383158
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

Antrim

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.43823530°
  • Longitude: -95.34855560°