Pleasant Plains, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Pleasant Plains, off State Highway 110 fifteen miles northeast of Rusk in eastern Cherokee County, was probably first settled around the time of the Civil War. A school for black children was in operation there by 1896, when it had an enrollment of forty-three. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a church, a school, and a number of houses. The school was later closed, and in the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Pleasant Plains, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasant-plains-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Loading