Pleasantville, TX


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Pleasantville was a black rural community near U.S. Highway 77 six miles south of Yoakum in northern DeWitt County. The community center was the school, which was established in 1904, and Mount Zion Baptist Church. Although the school probably was closed by 1950, when most of the county schools were consolidated, the church was still active in 1961.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Pleasantville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pleasantville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Pleasantville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.20302790°
  • Longitude: -97.23193280°