Polar, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Polar is on Farm Road 1142 in extreme southwest Kent County, four miles north of the Scurry county line and three miles east of the Garza county line. The settlement was the site of a long-standing postal station which existed from October 6, 1906, until May 19, 1951, when it was moved to Dumont; Florence A. Bean was the first postmaster. The town was named after Polar Singletary, daughter of the county commissioner, S. H. Singletary. Early in the twentieth century there were about twenty farm families in the community; they were served by the Polar school until enrollment dropped during the Great Depression as farmers left, and the school was consolidated with that in Jayton. The village reported one business and a population of ten in the early 1950s. A community building was present in the 1970s. Polar remained on county maps of the 1980s, shown as an isolated site connected to the north and east by gravel roads.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Polar, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/polar-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Polar
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1889932
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Kent County
Associated Names

Bean

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.01815510°
  • Longitude: -100.98818030°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009